Beginner's Luck

Anything libgdx related goes here!

Beginner's Luck

Postby GBabb » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:30 pm

Hey guys,
I'm fairly new to Android Development, and heard a lot of recommendations of LibGDX for game development. Likewise, I'm fairly competent in writing code in Java. After wrestling with LibGDX and Eclipse for the past few weeks I am still lacking a good foothold on designing apps, so I've decided to use this forum as my backup. A few general questions should get me on my way.

Is there an IDE better than Eclipse for LibGDX?
Which tutorial series helped you out the most when you began?
How open is this forum to newbies looking for help?

Any help is appreciated. I plan on continuing my struggle with LibGDX, but things haven't been easy getting off the ground.
GBabb

Re: Beginner's Luck

Postby dermetfan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:00 am

The IDE is mainly your personal preference. However, almost all the instructions focus on eclipse and the setup-ui generates eclipse projects.

I read the wiki (well when I did it was on google code) and examples a lot. Also don't hesitate to have a look at the source, it sometimes cleared things up for me. I didn't follow any particular series, but there are a few resources:

I'd say it's pretty open, at least there are many newbies posting here.
dermetfan

Postby jgauthier » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:53 am

GBabb,

Don't give up! First, I am a newb as well. I've been tinkering with this for a few weeks. Like you, I am mostly competent with Java.
Setup takes a little effort, but you should be able to get a project going with setup-ui and having it run on Android, desktop, and web pretty easily.

Get eclipse. If you're on Mac OS X you need to do this with 64 bit everything.
Install the Android SDK into eclipse. http://developer.android.com/sdk/instal ... g-adt.html
(I do not use the ADT)
Get GWT in eclipse. make sure to install the SDK inside that as well. http://www.gwtproject.org/usingeclipse.html
(These are rough instructions)

For tutorials, dermetfan's are great. I really enjoy his delivery.

As for newbie friendly, I would say it is very newbie friendly. Everyone here seems passionate about games. The experienced fellows provide great assistance.

So, what trouble are you having with your environment?
jgauthier

Postby GBabb » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:17 am

Thanks for all the links and info. Things have started to look up since I made this post several hours ago. These resources are a huge help, and I certainly won't be giving up anytime soon. Making games has been a passion of mine since I was a kid, and this is my first real opportunity to create something that can actually be distributed.

Many of my troubles seemed to be Eclipse being finicky. Things were marked as errors when they were perfectly correct, classes that were working suddenly stopped working for unexplained reasons, and Eclipse refused to function with my Android devices. Many of these problems are being solved. I plan on putting 1-2 hours a day aside to simply design, write code, and pursue my dreams of developing and inventing, and I'll be using as many resources as I can. Once again, thanks for the help and encouragement.
GBabb

Postby wizlon » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:39 am

All I can say is good luck to you, game development was always a dream of mine and through LibGDX (and previously XNA) this was made a reality.

The only piece of advice I can give is to start small. It's great to have an idea for a game but a lot of people think they can jump straight into that idea, they usually get frustrated and quit because that idea was just too big. Don't forget your idea but sideline it for the moment, start small with a space invaders clone, or a breakout style game, something which has been done before and is fairly simple, this will give you a good foothold on how things work and how best to approach simple problems, you'll make loads of mistakes (I certainly did) but you'll learn from them. Once you've hit a few roadblocks and got around them, learned some new tricks and ironed out your methodology then start on your big project. Seriously, it's the best way.

Edit: oh and don't be afraid to ask for help, but please use the search before you post, you may find someone has had the same problems as you.
If I've helped you out in any way then please check out my game Critter Rollers, download and rate. It's free (and quite good).
wizlon

Return to Libgdx