Beginner looking to get into LibGDX

Anything libgdx related goes here!

Beginner looking to get into LibGDX

Postby uutah4 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:21 am

Hi everyone, I'm a freshman in college studying computer science. We've been learning java and I'm already familiar with stuff like loops, arrays, methods, classes and that's it. I already coded the magic number game and tic tac toe on the terminal but those were just inputs and outputs I guess. I really want to get into actual game development.

I read the FAQ and Wiki of gamedev and LibGDX seems pretty nice, mostly because it's java. Would it be a good choice to start from here? I know whatever engine or framework I pick doesn't matter, but I'm afraid I might not have enough knowledge to start developing (really simple) games yet. Should I learn anything else before advancing? One more year of college or maybe a specific thing I should do some research on?
I was also thinking about starting by building pong. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
uutah4

Re: Beginner looking to get into LibGDX

Postby shatterblast » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:51 pm

If you want to make money off of Java, you should first research Spring or other options already known to you, especially if you have a job available. LibGDX can be nice to toy with as a hobby and you can even make a bit of extra income through ads or similar avenues. However, if you want to earn a livable income, LibGDX makes a very poor first choice.

Java is all about frameworks and how to put things together with those, so you find money in it that way. Before you graduate, I suggest you make connections, so that you know which direction you want to go. After that, LibGDX makes a great time-spender. Usually, the most successful game developers have spent a few years with other technologies and have good ideas on how to use their creativity. Also, resources from other areas can help build your game projects. If you just simply start from scratch, it can take a long time to roll out nice results.

I'm not discouraging you, but don't go into LibGDX, thinking you will instantly make a successful career off it alone. While generally held true with any game development, LibGDX's open source nature highlights that much more.

For example, who would you sell to? If you have no product now, what money will you use to buy resources? What if no one plays your product in large quantities?
shatterblast

Return to Libgdx