Example Game by a Newbie for Newbies

Any community contributions to libgdx go here! Some may get included in the core API when permission is granted.

Example Game by a Newbie for Newbies

Postby mandeep » Mon May 30, 2011 11:58 pm

I sure hope this is the appropriate forum for this, if not I apologize.

I'm a complete Java newbie but I was able to write a simple game in one night thanks to libgdx, and I've posted the source code and apk in the hope another newbie might get something useful out of it. The game is less complicated than the sample games in the libgdx svn, and basic examples like this have helped me in the past when I was trying to learn other frameworks.

Here's the source. I should mention again that I'm a Java noob and the code reflects that. It's a mess of if-else if statements. It's under Apache 2 if that matters.

And here's the Android apk file. You tap/click the upper half of the screen to make the penguin go up, and the lower half to go down. Try to avoid the bug and catch the heart. Real simple and boring, but I hope a fellow new coder can build something more complicated off it.

I also wrote a blog post about this.

Let me know if you're also a newbie and this helps you. If this is a waste of bandwidth, well, you can let me know that too!
mandeep

Re: Example Game by a Newbie for Newbies

Postby rincew » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:36 am

From annew newbie thank you very much.

Unfornutally your code has not a main method to be tested in a desktop PC. I will try to add one.
rincew

Return to Libgdx Contributions