LGDX 2D Level Editor - ALPHA 1 - Stress test

Any community contributions to libgdx go here! Some may get included in the core API when permission is granted.

Re: LGDX 2D Level Editor - ALPHA 1 - Stress test

Postby Obli » Wed May 04, 2011 11:25 am

Please excuse me for the late answer, I'm really busy with the tween engine, tween studio, level editor and incoming game (plus Ph.D. thesis...).

You're talking about "assets/data" folder. That's for an Android target I suppose. Does it work with a desktop target ?
I had this "white texture" behavior once. Can't remember what it meant but it had something to do with enabling alpha blending, or texture2d in opengl...
Obli

Postby broken-e » Wed May 04, 2011 3:58 pm

jbrin wrote:Have you enabled 2d textures?
Gdx.gl10.glEnable(GL10.GL_TEXTURE_2D);

:!: This was it!

Yes I was binding the textures as I just copied and pasted what was in the original post example, but I'm a complete GL noob so I didn't think to try enabling anything. :oops:

Thanks!

Obli wrote:Please excuse me for the late answer, I'm really busy with the tween engine, tween studio, level editor and incoming game (plus Ph.D. thesis...).

Hey I'm not complaining, I really appreciate the work you've done and shared with the rest of us! :mrgreen: I've been busy myself, too, so I just put this particular project aside for a bit to do others (plus work and family of course).
my latest release: SnowPaper
broken-e

Postby MattWay » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:54 am

Hey how is this going?

I'm really interested in how you generate the geometry and render the shapes. I'd like to do something similar for my game. Is the source available from anywhere?
MattWay

Postby Obli » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:26 am

Hello !

Sorry for the (insane) answer delay... but this can be easily explained :)
Actually, I'll rework on this project in a very near future since I'll need it.

I messed with the source a while ago and broke the engine. I'll upload them once it's clean again.
However, to answer you, the shapes only consists of a libgdx Mesh with a repetitive texture (TextureWrap.REPEAT), associated to another Mesh made of triangles for the border elements.
Obli

Postby yatayata » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:37 pm

Obli - looks like a very cool tool!

so it exports levels in a custom format? any details on this and how to incorporate into our own game engine?

are the collision maps related to box2d?

also what are the main difference over:
http://www.mapeditor.org/

output is custom to GDX?
Please "give something back" to the community and contribute your
knowledge to our libgdx-users project community wiki:
http://code.google.com/p/libgdx-users/
-> Just PM me your Gmail address so that I can add you as contributor
yatayata

Postby Obli » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:45 pm

The tool is currently in idle state :)
I'm considering a complete rebuild of it using the technology of the Box2D-Editor.

However, if was not made to produce tiled map, but custom terrain. With it, you can create complex shapes (concave polygons, etc) and assign them a texture and a border. I made it based on the game Aquaria (for PC). I loved its graphics, and wanted a tool to make such environments in my games. I want to achieve this kind of level editor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsT6otdcTv0

The output is a list of shapes and assigned textures. But really, I need to work on it from scratch :mrgreen:
Obli

Postby Magnesus » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:37 am

Did you ever go back to this project?
Magnesus

Previous

Return to Libgdx Contributions