iOS deployment issues

Anything libgdx related goes here!

iOS deployment issues

Postby portfort » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:58 am

From the lack of tutorials, I'm guessing I'm like the fifth person ever to try to deploy a game to iOS. Obviously I need help. :cry:

When I import the project on my Mac I get the error:

Error:Could not find com.intel.gradle:moeGradlePlugin:1.1.0.final-1.
Searched in the following locations:
file:/Applications/Android Studio.app/Contents/gradle/m2repository/com/intel/gradle/moeGradlePlugin/1.1.0.final-1/moeGradlePlugin-1.1.0.final-1.pom
file:/Applications/Android Studio.app/Contents/gradle/m2repository/com/intel/gradle/moeGradlePlugin/1.1.0.final-1/moeGradlePlugin-1.1.0.final-1.jar
file:/Users/stupidmac/.m2/repository/com/intel/gradle/moeGradlePlugin/1.1.0.final-1/moeGradlePlugin-1.1.0.final-1.pom
file:/Users/stupidmac/.m2/repository/com/intel/gradle/moeGradlePlugin/1.1.0.final-1/moeGradlePlugin-1.1.0.final-1.jar
https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/com/inte ... inal-1.pom
https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/com/inte ... inal-1.jar
https://oss.sonatype.org/content/reposi ... inal-1.pom
https://oss.sonatype.org/content/reposi ... inal-1.jar
file:/Users/stupidmac/Desktop/Android Studio Projects/mdc/null/gradle/com/intel/gradle/moeGradlePlugin/1.1.0.final-1/moeGradlePlugin-1.1.0.final-1.pom
file:/Users/stupidmac/Desktop/Android Studio Projects/mdc/null/gradle/com/intel/gradle/moeGradlePlugin/1.1.0.final-1/moeGradlePlugin-1.1.0.final-1.jar
Required by:
:mdc:unspecified

Multi-OS Engine Plugin is installed. I don't know what to do about this.

But never mind, maybe I'd prefer to use RoboVM, I don't know. So in order for Gradle project sync not to fail, I remove everything MOE related in build.gradle files and Gradle sync succeeds but there are no run configurations available. So I make a run configuration for RoboVM iOS, choose to run it in the simulator and press play. After a couple of minutes, the RoboVM console says "Build done", but nothing happens. Android Studio says "Compilation aborted" in a tooltip though. The simulator doesn't start and if I start the simulator manually, it doesn't do anything. Same thing when I try to run on a physical iPhone.

Is there anything special I should put in the IOSLauncher file? The IOSLauncher has to implement some interface so I added that, and the game class has to have an argument so I added that too like in the AndroidLauncher class and there are no errors but nothing happens.

Code: Select all
public class IOSLauncher extends IOSApplication.Delegate implements IActivityRequestHandler {
    private static IOSLauncher application;

@Override
    protected IOSApplication createApplication() {
        IOSApplicationConfiguration config = new IOSApplicationConfiguration();
        return new IOSApplication(new MDCgame(application), config);
    }

public static void main(String[] argv) {
        NSAutoreleasePool pool = new NSAutoreleasePool();
        UIApplication.main(argv, null, IOSLauncher.class);
        pool.close();
    }

@Override
    public void sendToServer(String subject, String jsonData, boolean silent) {
    }
}

Why can't it find MOE gradle plugin? Why doesn't the simulator start? What should be in the iOSLauncher file? Why aren't there detailed instructions or tutorials about deploying to iOS? What do I do?
Last edited by portfort on Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
portfort

Re: iOS development hell

Postby rohitgoyal » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:03 pm

Same is happening with me as well.
rohitgoyal

Postby TopCog » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:25 pm

I gave MOE a solid 10 hrs to try and get it working - ran into countless undocumented problems. The official documentation is out of date, and I was not impressed by the activity or response level of the official forums, or the release frequency. After surveying the landscape, my prediction is that the iOS side of libGDX does not have a bright future. Just seems like the technology is evolving, and java is no longer in a good place. I'm switching to Monogame/Xamarin for my next project. Consider that, essentially, RoboVM was shut down in favor of Xamarin.
TopCog

Postby portfort » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:06 pm

TopCog wrote:I'm switching to Monogame/Xamarin for my next project. Consider that, essentially, RoboVM was shut down in favor of Xamarin.

Not an option when I put 900 hours into developing my game in Libgdx, not counting time I spent learning to use Libgdx.
portfort

Postby TopCog » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:09 pm

portfort wrote:
TopCog wrote:I'm switching to Monogame/Xamarin for my next project. Consider that, essentially, RoboVM was shut down in favor of Xamarin.

Not an option when I put 900 hours into developing my game in Libgdx, not counting time I spent learning to use Libgdx.

I hear you - I've worked with libGDX for 2 years and published 7 titles on Android and iOS. Switching to Monogame won't be too hard for me at least, check out this quick guide:

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/754 ... o-MonoGame
TopCog

Re: iOS deployment hell

Postby tomski » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:45 pm

You can use the now open source MOE project, which has been updated today, or the open source version of RoboVM that libgdx projects depend on which has just recently been updated to support the latest xcode and ios versions.

With your first issue, it couldn't find the plugin because you are missing the environment variable INTEL_MULTI_OS_ENGINE_HOME.

As for your issues with RoboVM, I assume you are using the latest version of libgdx and RoboVM OSS? If so, please give a full log of versions of everything you are using so we can see if there is anything up. Make sure to test with a freshly generated project from the setup tool.
tomski

Postby portfort » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:19 pm

tomski wrote:With your first issue, it couldn't find the plugin because you are missing the environment variable INTEL_MULTI_OS_ENGINE_HOME.

What should the value of this variable be? I can't find the Multi OS Engine installed anywhere on my Mac - the instructions on https://multi-os-engine.org/start/ just mention installing a plug in, which I did. What else should I do?

tomski wrote:As for your issues with RoboVM, I assume you are using the latest version of libgdx and RoboVM OSS? If so, please give a full log of versions of everything you are using so we can see if there is anything up. Make sure to test with a freshly generated project from the setup tool.

I tried with both jars from here http://robovm.mobidevelop.com/downloads/releases/idea/ and the result is the same. I try to run a new Libgdx project generated from the gds-setup.jar I downloaded today (doesn't say what version) and the console says compilation aborted.

[INFO] RoboVM plugin initialized
[INFO] Loading default RoboVM config properties file: /Users/stupidmac/Downloads/test/ios/robovm.properties
[INFO] Loading default RoboVM config file: /Users/stupidmac/Downloads/test/ios/robovm.xml
[INFO] Building executable in /Users/stupidmac/Downloads/test/ios/robovm-build/tmp/iOS/ios/x86_64
[INFO] Installation of app in /Users/stupidmac/Downloads/test/ios/robovm-build/tmp/iOS/ios/x86_64
[INFO] classpath entry: /Users/stupidmac/Downloads/test/ios/build/libs/ios-1.0.jar
[INFO] classpath entry: /Users/stupidmac/.gradle/caches/modules-2/files-2.1/com.badlogicgames.gdx/gdx/1.9.4/4b4b7962d1bc75af0438f5c81ec1010557bc9ee5/gdx-1.9.4.jar
[INFO] classpath entry: /Users/stupidmac/Downloads/test/core/build/libs/core-1.0.jar
[INFO] classpath entry: /Users/stupidmac/Downloads/test/core/build/classes/main
[INFO] classpath entry: /Users/stupidmac/.gradle/caches/modules-2/files-2.1/com.badlogicgames.gdx/gdx-backend-robovm/1.9.4/28822d4eac3c24b2b6d5ee50a017bc8981b7edd6/gdx-backend-robovm-1.9.4.jar
[INFO] classpath entry: /Users/stupidmac/Downloads/test/ios/build/classes/main
[INFO] classpath entry: /Users/stupidmac/.gradle/caches/modules-2/files-2.1/com.badlogicgames.gdx/gdx-platform/1.9.4/934c60d5c1a1bd8fcf3583e3566e20b5a87184dd/gdx-platform-1.9.4-natives-ios.jar
[INFO] Using SDK boot classpath
[INFO] Cleaning output dir /Users/stupidmac/Downloads/test/ios/robovm-build/tmp/iOS/ios/x86_64
[WARNING] RoboVM has detected that you are running on a slow HDD. Please consider mounting a RAM disk.
To create a 2GB RAM disk, run this in your terminal:
SIZE=2048 ; diskutil erasevolume HFS+ 'RoboVM RAM Disk' `hdiutil attach -nomount ram://$((SIZE * 2048))`
See http://docs.robovm.com/ for more info
[INFO] Compiling classes using 4 threads
[INFO] Compiled 0 classes in 4.60 seconds
[INFO] Linking 4340 classes (ios x86_64 release)
[INFO] 47468 methods out of 47468 included in the executable
[INFO] Building ios binary /Users/stupidmac/Downloads/test/ios/robovm-build/tmp/iOS/ios/x86_64/IOSLauncher
[INFO] /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang++ -o /Users/stupidmac/Downloads/test/ios/robovm-build/tmp/iOS/ios/x86_64/IOSLauncher -arch x86_64 -Wl,-filelist,/Users/stupidmac/Downloads/test/ios/robovm-build/tmp/iOS/ios/x86_64/objects0 -L /Users/stupidmac/.robovm-sdks/robovm-2.1.0/lib/vm/ios/x86_64 -ObjC -exported_symbols_list /Users/stupidmac/Downloads/test/ios/robovm-build/tmp/iOS/ios/x86_64/exported_symbols -Wl,-no_implicit_dylibs -Wl,-dead_strip -fPIC -mios-simulator-version-min=7.0 -isysroot /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneSimulator9.3.sdk -lrobovm-bc -force_load /Users/stupidmac/.robovm-sdks/robovm-2.1.0/lib/vm/ios/x86_64/librobovm-rt.a -lrobovm-debug -lrobovm-core -lgc -lpthread -ldl -lm -lz -liconv -lsqlite3 -framework Foundation -framework UIKit -framework OpenGLES -framework QuartzCore -framework CoreGraphics -framework OpenAL -framework AudioToolbox -framework AVFoundation -force_load /Users/stupidmac/.robovm/cache/ios/x86_64/release/Users/stupidmac/.gradle/caches/modules-2/files-2.1/com.badlogicgames.gdx/gdx-platform/1.9.4/934c60d5c1a1bd8fcf3583e3566e20b5a87184dd/gdx-platform-1.9.4-natives-ios.jar.extracted/META-INF/robovm/ios/libs/libgdx.a -force_load /Users/stupidmac/.robovm/cache/ios/x86_64/release/Users/stupidmac/.gradle/caches/modules-2/files-2.1/com.badlogicgames.gdx/gdx-platform/1.9.4/934c60d5c1a1bd8fcf3583e3566e20b5a87184dd/gdx-platform-1.9.4-natives-ios.jar.extracted/META-INF/robovm/ios/libs/libObjectAL.a -lz -framework MobileCoreServices -Xlinker -rpath -Xlinker @executable_path/Frameworks -Xlinker -rpath -Xlinker @loader_path/Frameworks
[INFO] Linked 4340 classes in 5.49 seconds
[INFO] Build done

And the status bar says Compilation aborted, while the simulator does nothing. I can't find any error.
portfort

Postby tomski » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:39 am

If you have the simulator closed and you launch the app does the simulator open? What version of MacOS and xcode?
tomski

Postby portfort » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:15 am

tomski wrote:If you have the simulator closed and you launch the app does the simulator open? What version of MacOS and xcode?

The simulator doesn't open, so I open it manually. I have El Capitan and Xcode 7.3
portfort

Postby tomski » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:51 pm

If you are using RoboVM OSS, there might be an issue with the IDEA plugin.

Try closing xcode and the simulator, open up terminal and run from the command line. You'll want to run ./gradlew ios:launchIPhoneSimulator from your project dir. It can take a long time for the first run, so just stick with it.

For MOE, try to get a basic sample (no libgdx) running. You can follow guides on the Migeran site.
tomski

Next

Return to Libgdx