3D Occlusion Culling?

Anything libgdx related goes here!

3D Occlusion Culling?

Postby graham01 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:31 pm

Hey,

I am curious is there is anything existing to do with this? I have looked around and found a few things to do with bullet, but it's not really applicable for me. I am rendering millions of Renderables which only base off a handful of Models, so i have made good use of ModelCache. It is not great though because it's still millions of vertices, and with mesh verts limited to max short there is still too many render calls. If I am correct, then any existing occlusion culling will not work for me because it basically checks bounding boxes of separate models. I now very little about 3d rendering but I would assume it would be possible to occlusion cull deeper in the render chain with the triangles/vertices. Is this possible? Or would it be more expensive that just blind rendering?
graham01

Re: 3D Occlusion Culling?

Postby evilentity » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:27 am

You could precompute an octtree so you dont render things that are considered invisible. If there are such things. Perhaps you could use lods. Not rendering crazy complex meshes is the optimal solution if you can get away with it.
Looking for a freelancer? PM me!
evilentity

Re: 3D Occlusion Culling?

Postby graham01 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:37 am

Well that sounds complicated! Nothing I can do about the complexity of the mesh unfortunately, it is what it is.
graham01

Return to Libgdx