LibGDX on Flutter?

Anything libgdx related goes here!

Re: LibGDX on Flutter?

Postby yobowargames » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:21 pm

I'm not entirely sure why you think the answers are stupid?

When I look at flutter its
A Framework (UI Library based on widgets): A collection of reusable UI elements (buttons, text inputs, sliders, and so on) that you can personalize for your own needs.

That's almost exactly what Scene2D is.
yobowargames

Postby evilentity » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:28 pm

Last ive checked Flutter was in Dart not in Java. Doing custom widgets was massive pain in the ass. Trying to fit gdx in there would be even more. Attempting to do that would make little sense.

Amusing how often this story happen, 'scene 2d is hard! I know, ill use some unrelated thing that also does ui! What could go wrong?' :(
Looking for a freelancer? PM me!
Check out libgdx discord server!
evilentity

Postby pedro » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:37 pm

Some points/replies (edited):
  • I never said Scene2D is hard, I still dont know why some people started talking about Scene2D, I never even mentioned it on the original post, much less that I find it hard or that I dont like it
  • As I said, Im an experienced LibGDX developer, have released multiple successful commercial titles with it years ago, and I do like Scene2D, and my question is NOT about it
  • Flutter is in Dart, yes, that's why Im asking if there's any kind of effort/fork/etc to make (or remake) LibGDX on it
  • The widget part of Flutter is not something Im interested in, it would never work for game development, but you can draw on the "canvas" with Flutter, there are some crappy game engines in Flutter that dont use anything of the widget part (it creates an initial "canvas" widget, and then you draw everything in it). For example check Flame ( https://flame-engine.org/ )
  • And, maybe most importantly, I never asked for suggestions/alternatives!! I specifically asked if there is a port to run LibGDX on Flutter, and/or if that's something the LibGDX community has previously discussed, or is interested. And I said I think it would be very valuable for LibGDX, since it would naturally run on both Android and iOS (and desktop) without the need for RoboVM or any other similar "hack" (yes, in my eyes RoboVM is not much more than a hack). Also I mentioned there's a gap on Flutter for decent game engines, and LibGDX could fill that gap. Still, almost every reply I got is off-topic (some are slightly off, some are light-years off)
pedro

Postby tintinger108 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:42 am

Basically, could we make flutter the cross-platform backend for libGDX?
tintinger108

Previous

Return to Libgdx